Saturday, April 5, 2008

The L Train Story

Beth, My dear friend told me how much she enjoyed what is now known as "The L train Story," which she encouraged me to share with others.

The L train Story

One morning, a little over a year ago, at a certain Bedford avenue apartment in Brooklyn, NY lay a sleeping student who was enrolled in an advanced etching class that took place at an early 9:00 on Friday mornings. Now, this student didn't have the prerequisite needed to take the class, but the caring, generous professor decided to let her stay anyway. This fateful morning was still very early in the semester, perhaps the second or third week. Mind you, this professor was not only very strict, (three "lates" meant failure) but also very beautiful and accompanied by a lovely European accent.

Anyway, here is the rest of the story told by this very student.

Consciousness just begins to dawn on my sleep-ridden mind while starring at the clock, and as I finally grasp the meaning behind the numbers I see, the lightning surge of panic shoots me out of bed into clothes and out the door as fast as possible. 

Luckily, I only live across the street from the train. As I flurry down into the tunnel, I am slowed by an enormous crowd of hipsters all waiting for their beloved L train. 

I am going to be late. Very late. All I can think about is how screwed I am and I am really pissed off. I mean really pissed off. The kind of anger combined with self-hatred that makes me literally want to beat myself up. I remember thinking, "God! How could you do this?! You are so irresponsible! I can't believe this is going to suck oh my god what an idiot you're just awwwwwwwee picture his face!...so early in the semester..." and on and on.. 

So, I'm freaking out for awhile just bouncing between these negative thoughts. Then something jumped out at me. It was like déja-vu. I knew that this had happened to me before. The same self-deprecating negative emotions came about from the exact same causes before. And in that moment I realized that I had been in this situation before, and everything had turned back to normal. Everything turned out okay. I realized that in a little while, I would forget all about my anger, frustration, and regret and return to my happy, normal self.

In writing, it sounds so obvious, but in reality, in practice sometimes this is so hard to remember.

and just so you know, I dropped the class anyway, and it ultimately didn't matter a fig.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I am your newest follower... I found you on the Fargo Garden Blog. I am Christine "Red"'s SIL... I loved the L Train story. Show me some blog love.

www.bingopajamaswhengoodthingshappen.blogspot.com

Kristen